Thursday, October 21, 2010

Encounter with the Saviour

From my bible study this morning, I love this.  (I am currently working through a Bible study called Live Intimately: Lessons from the Upper Room by Lenya Heitzig and Penny Rose.  It has been a wonderful study so far.  This morning, from the chapter “Changing Expectations:”

I had walked life’s path with an easy tread,
Had followed where comfort and pleasure led;
And then by chance in a quiet place-
I met my Master face to face.

With station and rank and wealth for goal,
Much thought for body but none for soul,
I had entered to win this life’s mad race-
When I met my Master face to face.

I had built my castles, reared them high,
Till their towers had pierced the blue of the sky;
I had sworn to rule  with an iron mace-
When I met my Master face to face.

I met Him and knew Him, and blushed to see
That His eyes full of sorrow were fixed on me;
And I faltered, and fell at His feet that day
While my castles vanished and melted away.

Melted and vanished; and in their place
I saw naught else but my Master’s face;
And I cried aloud: “Oh, make me meet
To follow the marks of Thy wounded feet.”

My thought is now for the souls of men’
I have lost my life to find it again
Ever since alone in that holy place
My Master and I stood face to face.


Dear Lord, I have to admit that washing feet was not what I had in mind when I became a Christian. It’s awe inspiring to see your humble example. Lord, I surrender my lofty plans. Let me do what you  have done and serve others. Amen